Usually when you use the phrase “seeing red”, it implies you’re angry. Believe me, I’m anything but angry! I’m actually in love with another red dresser I finished, so I’ve literally been seeing a lot of red over the past few days.
This gorgeous dresser came from an auction. It has two leaf carvings on the top drawer and the handles look like pinecones or acorns. I posted a collage of it when it arrived on my Instagram account.
Doesn’t it just scream, “Paint me red for Fall!”
So I did!
The wood on this piece was just right for milk paint so I turned to Miss Mustard Seed’s Tricycle for the job.
I’ve heard that Tricycle is a hard color to mix, and I found that to be true. The trick is patience and slow mixing. I mixed too vigorously with my first batch and it wound up very foamy. My second and third batches were much better. Three times really was the charm! I applied three coats for full coverage and followed up with Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Wax. I’m a huge fan of the consistency of her wax, as it’s very buttery and super easy to apply. It doesn’t have any strong odors and it’s incredibly straight forward to use, unlike other furniture waxes. You really can’t mess it up!
The dresser was still looking gorgeous but it needed a little more depth to make those carved handles and leaf details sing.
Using Miss Mustard Seed’s Antiquing Wax and one of her brushes, I applied the Antiquing Wax all over…including the top! I hand-sanded it and applied the Antiquing Wax directly to the raw wood.
I think the dresser turned out perfectly, but I’ll let you be the judge!
This piece was a lot of fun to stage. My boxwood wreath and lanterns from Decor Steals worked together to create the cutest little scene.
My little sign is from Fresh Vintage by Amy in Strasburg. The store has acquired a new owner and is called Blue Dandelion by Tiffany now. It’s still as adorable as ever inside!
And I happen to quite agree with the sign!
The dresser was particularly difficult to photograph because I had it staged inside. I tried photographing in the evening and my pictures turned out too blue. Next, I tried in the evening and the lights in the room cast a yellow tint.
In addition to tricky photography, the dresser needed a few structural repairs to get it working well again.
This little guy was definitely a labor of love and I’m so pleased with the way it turned out – strange lighting and all!